- Inconsistency corrections
- Story structure suggestions
- Character voice distinguishability
- Dialogue/action tag confusion corrections
- Dialogue/speech punctuation adjustments
- POV confusion identification (head hopping)
- Location(s)/world(s) relatability and/or plausibility
- General readability and reader engagement suggestions
- Content/plot flow observations and improvement suggestions
- Formatting suggestions/confirmations (e.g. use of italics/bold type, slang/jargon/dialect, abbreviations etc.)
- Obvious spelling, punctuation and grammar corrections (although a separate proofread is recommended before publication).
Price guideline: £13 – £15 per 1,000 words.
First Chapter Feedback
If you're not quite ready for a full manuscript edit, or perhaps don't have the budget right now, my first chapter feedback service may be right for you. Please contact me to ask any questions that aren't covered in the FAQs below, or to book your slot!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How does your editing service work?
A. 'Penning and Planning – The Editing Process' outlines everything you need to know about my editing service.
Q. What software do you use for editing?
A. I use Track Changes in Word. This short video explains how Track Changes work.
Q. What levels of editing do you offer?
A. I offer both line editing and developmental editing. This blog explains the differences between the two.
Q. Do you specialise in any particular genres, or are there any genres you don't edit?
A. I work on a wide range of fiction novels, as well as nonfiction books, but being a crime fiction obsessive (both reading and writing), I know the styles, tropes and reader expectations of crime fiction (and its many sub-genres) extremely well. The darker themed genres I am more than happy to edit include:
- Dark romance
- Domestic noir
- Murder mystery
- Serial killer crime
- Detective led crime
- Psychological thriller
I am quite unshockable where a great story is concerned – often the grislier the better!
The only genre I don't enjoy working on is epic fantasy (sorry epic fantasy authors!), but I would be happy to refer you to other editors in my professional network who do edit fantasy novels.
Q. Do you offer payment plans for editing services?
A. Payment plans are definitely available. In fact, most of my author clients pay by instalments! The most popular choice seems to be half up front then half 14 days after completion, but I have agreed to instalments over 2-3 months before. I try and be as flexible as possible but I do ask for a 10% non-refundable deposit of the total cost to secure a booking, so that I can organise my editing schedule and availability.
Q. Do you offer package prices or discounts for booking editing, proofreading and formatting services altogether?
A. Yes, I do! Package prices are available and agreed on a project by project basis. Please contact me for a bespoke quote.