Although not exhaustive, this list gives an overview of the types of checks and corrections included in my proofreading service:
- Deleting rogue spacing
- Correcting misuse of capitalisation (or lack thereof)
- Ensuring character names are consistent throughout
- Correcting misused homophones (there/their/they're etc.)
- Checking chapter numbers are chronological/correctly labelled throughout
- Ensuring all spelling and punctuation is as accurate as possible throughout
- Ensuring correct use of UK or US English is applied throughout (based on author choice)
- Checking formatting consistency e.g. fonts, titles, dates, numbers, italics, speech marks, abbreviations etc.
Price guideline: £11 per 1,000 words.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. I see typos in traditionally published books all the time – do I need a proofreader for my self published book?
A. Absolutely! Traditional publishing houses allow for a margin of error where proofreading is concerned, but for every typo that was missed, plenty more were caught and corrected. Self publishing standards are becoming higher and higher, and indie authors want their books to be as indistinguishable from traditionally published books as possible. This means ensuring self published books are professionally proofread too, because readers do notice – just like you did in those traditionally published books! All authors want to give their books the best chance of success they can, which includes the essential stage of a final proofread before formatting.
Q. What are the differences between editing and proofreading?
A. This blog explains the basic differences between editing and proofreading.
Q. Do you offer payment plans for proofreading services?
A. Yes! I always try and be as flexible as possible when it comes to payment plans but I do ask for a 10% non-refundable deposit of the total cost to secure a booking, so that I can organise my proofreading schedule and availability. Please contact me to discuss your preferred way of investing in proofreading!